How to Move a Business to Another State Like a Seasoned Pro
John F. Dennehy Jr., CPA, PC

How to Move a Business to Another State Like a Seasoned Pro

Play an audio version of this article
Voiced by Amazon Polly

Whether new opportunity presents itself or you're just looking for a change of scenery, understanding how to move your business to another state may be a critical part of your process. And if it is, the team at John F. Dennehy CPA can and will help. 

We are a knowledgeable team of CPAs, accountants, and business consultants who can help you successfully move your business to another state. Don't hesitate to reach out to us today for personalized assistance. And in the meantime, continue reading to learn more about how to move a business to another state.

How to Move Sole Proprietorship and Partnerships to a Different State?

Whatever your reason for moving, the steps required to make the switch depend on the legal structure of your business. For sole proprietorships and partnerships, the transition is simple. Below you will find some important things to keep in mind.

  • Sole proprietorships and partnerships are not mandated to register with the state
  • Cancel any current local business permits and licenses before applying for new ones in the future location
  • Pay any outstanding balances; such as employment taxes, sales taxes, and fees
  • If your business is associated with a local bank, you will need to close the account and transfer your funds to a national bank or a local bank near the new location
  • Inform the IRS about the change of location to ensure that the Federal Tax ID or federal employer identification number (EIN) has the correct address on file
  • If your business has assumed a name or has a “doing business as” (DBA), you will have to withdraw the name from the Secretary of State’s office and resubmit the application in the new home state.
  • If you decide to move mid-year, you’ll need to submit taxes in both states for that year. Hiring an accountant to do it for you can eliminate any possible complications, especially if your company gets audited

How to Move a Corporation or LLC to Another State?

For corporations and limited liability corporations (LLCs), the process for moving your business looks a bit different. In general, businesses have two options on how to move forward:

  • File a foreign qualification in the new state; or
  • Dissolve the corporation and file it again in the new state

The decision you make depends on whether you opt to operate in both states or if you decide to operate exclusively in the new state. If you decide to permanently move your business, there will be some steps to take care of first in order to properly do the transfer. The specifics vary from state-to-state, but they typically follow these steps.

  • Conduct a meeting with board members in order to agree to the closure and transfer of the corporation (document it in the meeting minutes).
  • File “Articles of Dissolution” or a “Certificate of Termination” with the current Secretary of State
  • Pay all outstanding reports, taxes, and state fees before dissolving the company
  • Distribute remaining assets to the owners/members
  • Check-in with the current Secretary of State’s office to ensure that the company is no longer active before you begin to re-register in the new state

When registering in a new state, be sure to follow the state's guidelines for business name registration, securing business licenses/permits, and filing articles of incorporation. Learn more about the ins and outs of forming LLCs in a different state

How to Move A Business to Another State Temporarily?

If you are considering continuing business in your old state or are looking to relocate temporarily, dissolving your corporation in the original state is unnecessary. If either scenario fits your business or you are simply deciding to expand your business into an adjacent state, file a foreign qualification in the new state.

To do so, file and submit a Certificate of Authority application form with the required fees to the Secretary of State office. In addition, you will be asked for details of your company; such as stock information, domestic state, principle location you will use in the new state, your registered agent, and a list of all your corporate offices. 

Contact John F. Dennehy CPA

If you're like most business owners, you don't move your business to a different state every day. Because of this, the process can seem confusing and overwhelming. With so many things to consider, how do you know you've checked every box? Fortunately, the team at John F. Dennehy CPA can help. 

We offer decades of experience helping business owners move, grow, and thrive through all environments. We offer a broad range of solutions designed to meet your unique needs. Whether you're looking to move your business to a new state or foster strategic growth within your home state, the team at John F. Dennehy offers the solutions to help you get there. 

Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.

About the Author John F. Dennehy Jr., CPA, PC

We at John F. Dennehy CPA are a team of certified public accountants who service clients throughout Long Island. The services that we provide are comprehensive, and we can resolve multiple accounting needs for a client.

Popular posts